SC All-State and Chamber Music Day is Saturday, Nov. 12, 2022
9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. at the USC School of Music (813 Assembly St., Columbia, SC)
Activities and classes for beginning, intermediate and advanced players connect young woodwind students from across the state and region and ensure a day full of great learning, listening, and playing experiences. This workshop is hosted by USC faculty and members of the flute, oboe and bassoon studios. Lunch is provided.
The day's activities include:
- A short recital by professors Anderson, Harley, and Parker-Harley
- Masterclasses focused on the 2022-23 all-state etudes for flutists, oboists, and bassoonists of all levels
- Mock auditions (participation optional), and an audition walk-through for middle school players
- Yoga for performers (optional)
- Short one-to-one lessons with USC faculty and students per request
- A presentation, Q&A, and panel discussion with USC music students, led by a member of the USC School of Music’s admissions team. This event is especially for high school students considering majoring or participating in music in college
- Fundamentals sessions for younger students
- Age-appropriate woodwind chamber group reading sessions, led by USC faculty and students
- Vendors with accessories, music, and instruments for sale
- Contrabassoon “petting zoo”
|8-9 a.m.||Check In and Walk-In Registration|
|9 a.m.||Yoga for Performers / Mock Auditions / 1:1 Lessons / Exhibits Open|
|10:30 a.m.||Faculty Recital (Including 2022 SFCS High School Competition Winner)|
|11 a.m.||Community Warm-Up|
|11:30 a.m.||HS Admissions Session / Junior Etudes and Audition Walk-Throughs|
|12:30 p.m.||Lunch (Provided) / Additional 1:1 Lessons|
|1:30 p.m.||Junior Scales and Sight Reading / HS Flute, Oboe, and Bassoon Etudes|
|2:45 p.m.||Mindful Minute - Interactive Presentation on Mindfulness and Mental Focus|
|3:30 p.m.||Chamber Music Readings - All Participants|
Cost, Registration and Check-In
A $40 pre-registration fee (non-refundable), paid online and in advance, covers all activities and lunch. Walk-up registration on Nov. 12 is $45. Parents may attend for free.
Middle and high school students who elect to play a mock audition should arrive between 8:15-9 a.m. to check in and receive an audition time. Others may arrive later .
Check-in for students interested in playing a mock audition is from 8:15 to 9 a.m.; mock auditions, exhibits and a “come and go” yoga class for musicians start at 9 a.m. Check-in and walk-up registration continue through 10:30 a.m., ending with start of the day’s first required event, the faculty recital. One-to-one lessons will also be in the morning, starting at 9 am. Lesson time will be given upon receipt of registration information.
Pre-registration is highly recommended for those interested in playing a mock audition, performing in a masterclass or receiving a one-to-one lesson. While we will accommodate as many as possible, walk-in registrants may not be guaranteed a spot in these events.
Register online here
After registering online above, please download the Waiver of Liability for Minor Participants and fill it out. Please email it back to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The School of Music building is located at 813 Assembly Street, Columbia, S.C. 29208. Directions to USC and parking information.
For more information:
Hassan Anderson, Michael Harley or Jennifer Parker-Harley
Vendors and Sponsors
Featured vendors bringing numerous instruments, music, reeds and accessories for trial and sale include Musical Innovations.