Skip to Content

School of Music

Online MME FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions:

Online Graduate Music Education Courses and Degrees


How do I find online courses that I can take?

You can search for online courses using this website. Current students can find these classes through the Self Services Carolina (SSC) Program. Some courses may have restrictions (i.e., enrollment capacity, field of study, campus, etc.) placed on them by the departments, colleges/schools and/or campuses. Search MUED (music education) and MUSC (music theory, history, conducting, ensembles) and select a specific academic semester. 


Can I apply to just take classes? 

Yes! You can enroll in a class as a non-degree seeking student. Know that you can only apply 6 credits to a graduate degree once you are enrolled. Be sure to create a new account if you are a first-time applicant. There is a $50.00 application fee. 

See this page for more information:  Non-degree seeking details

See this page to apply: Non-Degree Application

What materials do I need to submit as a non-degree seeking student?

Three letters of recommendation, transcripts, copy of teacher certification (if applicable)

What is the deadline to enroll in a class as a non-degree seeking student ?

Apply at least two weeks before the class begins. See this page for future academic calendars: UofSC Academic Calendar


How can I apply for the MME?  What materials do I need to submit?
See here: UofSC Graduate Admissions

  1. Three letters of recommendation 
  2. Transcripts
  3. Writing Samples - Submission of one college-level term paper with title page and references regarding some aspect of music or music education. Thesis track applicants should submit two college-level term papers with title page and references regarding some aspect of music or music education.
  4. 15-minute teaching video of elementary, middle school, or high school music class or ensemble. You are welcome to send YouTube, DropBox, or Google Drive links. 
  5. Resume
  6. Verification of teaching certificate
  7. Interview with music education area faculty

What are the application deadlines for the MME?

Semester of Initial Enrollment Application Deadline

Fall (late August) June 15 (May 1 for international students)

Spring (January) November 1 (September 1 for international students)

Summer (June/July) April 15 (March 1 for international students)

Are there funding opportunities if I enroll full-time in the MME?

Graduate assistantships are available for students who are full-time, resident students on the Columbia campus. Assistantships details are available here: Music Graduate Assistantships

A limited number of fellowships are available for students who are not awarded or are not eligible for assistantships. These fellowships range from $250–$1250 per semester, which would qualify out-of-state students for in-state tuition rates.


I supervised a student teacher.  Do I get a reduced tuition rate on my classes?

Supervisory Teacher Rate is $50 per credit hour for Columbia campus.

I am a certified music teacher; Do I get a reduced tuition rate on my classes
Certified Teacher Rate is $515.00 for resident students per hour for the Columbia campuses. This rate is a 10% reduction to the regular resident graduate rate.  The rate is $620.00 for nonresident students per hour for the Columbia campus (50% of Nonresident Graduate rate). The Certified Teacher rate applies to regular graduate courses only and not to any program with a separate program or credit hour fee.   Fee applies to part time students only.

A copy of your SC teaching certificate must be turned into the Bursar’s Office or Business Office at your campus to receive the reduction.  Students taking 12 or more hours do not qualify for the reduction.

Upload your transcripts or teaching certificate to verify that you have completed an undergraduate degree.

When are my tuition and fees due?

Information about due dates and methods of payment can be found here:

Is this financially worth it? 

In general, one can make the tuition money back in three years, once you have the degree in hand. Over the course of a thirty year career, it is definitely worth it! 


How do I enroll in an online course?

Current students: Log in to and sign in to the Self Services Carolina (SSC) Program to register. 

Non-USC students: Apply for admission depending on your circumstances (e.g., degree-seeking or non-degree seeking) and the level of the course or program of study in which you are interested.  For additional information about admission requirements, visit the Graduate School websites.

Can I get a copy of the syllabus before I enroll?

Instructors who use Blackboard may post the course syllabus prior to the start of the semester. If you require a syllabus prior to registering for the course, you may want to contact the instructor.

How do I access the online course after registering?

If your course is taught using Blackboard, you will be able to access the course online through that Learning Management System. Instructors using other course delivery formats will send you instructions to access the course. Make sure you check your UofSC email account.

Where do I find textbook information for my online course?

Required textbook information is provided in the syllabus which may be posted in the course information in Blackboard prior to the start of the course. 

Are UofSC Columbia's online courses self-paced or schedule-based?

Course formats vary. Some instructors choose to have a structured schedule with deadlines to be met along with required online course sessions or in-person events (such as an orientation, seminars, etc.).  Other instructors choose not to have specific deadlines and allow students to access course materials and complete assignments at their discretion.  It is important for you to read the syllabus carefully for this information and check your UofSC email account regularly. Courses must begin and end on the course dates as assigned according to the term in which the course is offered. These dates will be posted in the Self Services Carolina Program.

How do I get the Student Health Fee waived if I’m in an online program and do not attend courses on campus?

If you are enrolled in an online degree program and the Health Center Fee is not waived, contact the Health Center to request the waiver and then work with your department to provide the required information for a waiver for the fee.


How do I get a library ID online?

Students who need access to USC libraries and do not have a USC picture ID may complete a Library ID Request.

How do I access Blackboard?

Information about accessing Blackboard may be found here. If you have trouble accessing Blackboard, contact the UTS Service Desk by calling (803) 777-1800, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m.; submitting an online request through the Self-Service Portal; or visiting the Carolina Tech Zone for hands-on support.

How do I get assistance for technical issues?
Contact the DoIT Service Desk by calling (803) 777-1800, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m.; submitting an online request through the Self-Service Portal; or visiting the Carolina Tech Zone for hands-on support to resolve your technical issue. 

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.