Research Opportunities (Funding & More)
• English majors in our Undergraduate Research Track can earn a B.A. with Distinction by undertaking a substantial research or creative project under the supervision of a faculty mentor.
• The Office of Undergraduate Research shares a range of resources and funding sources for student research—whether you have a project underway or need tips on how to get started; whether you envision research that takes place on campus, in the archive, in a community, or in another country.
• Magellan Grants support UofSC undergraduates working on research and creative projects in collaboration with faculty mentors.
• Through the Undergraduate Research Enhancement Program (UREP), the College of Arts and Sciences funds research materials and supplies.
• The University Libraries Award for Undergraduate Research recognizes excellent work utilizing material in our library’s collections.
• The University’s office of National Fellowships and Scholar Programs supports students seeking major fellowships beyond campus.
• Graduate students in English are eligible for University Awards.
Student Publications & Other Venues for Sharing Your Work
• Opportunities to share your research and creative work include regular events hosted by our own INK! Undergraduate Association and the annual Discover USC, a university-wide showcase of research, scholarship, leadership and creativity by undergraduate and graduate students.
• The Lettered Olive, UofSC's undergraduate literary review, features creative writing and visual art by undergraduates, exclusively.
• Cola Literary Review is UofSC’s literary journal, edited by students in our MFA program. It publishes poetry, short fiction, brief essays, and reviews. UofSC MFA Students also read their work at the Shark’s Parlor series.
• UofSC houses remarkable, one-of-a-kind archival collections, including rare books, historic film and video, digitized collections of manuscripts, diaries, maps, photographs, and much more. Students can explore and investigate these materials for research and creative projects within and beyond their classes.
• Citing Sources (When, Why & How)
• The Oxford English Dictionary
• For Research Help of most any kind, in person and online, our University Libraries are invaluable.